...is the new name I have given the formerly known 'Summertime' quilt after several people pointed out that the pattern looked a bit like a harlequin pattern. But because it is a slightly wonky harlequin I am going to call it drunken harlequin !
So here it is and what a joy it was to make, although rather a lot of work. This quilt is 60" x 60" in size and has a staggering 400 HSTs which mean a lot cutting, pressing of open seams and squaring of blocks. It kept me busy on several early mornings before work and late nights too but it was well worth it.
For the back I used a well horded print from my stash from the 'Pretty Bird' collection by Pillow and Maxfield for Michael Miller. I have used this print for a quilt backing before in the red colour way which really added vavavoom to this quilt. The blue colourway worked perfectly with this quilt and I made up the remaining space with Kona in Peapot (one of the new colours) and Michael Miller couture in Malibu.
I quilted as per usual with Gueterman Sulky in 1082 along the HST stitch lines to make the pattern also visible through the quilting lines on the quilt back.
The binding was a difficult choice and I was for a while convinced it would be orange or red but then went with oval elements in mustard/green to compliment to back and the front rather than to contrast.
I love the little splashes of patterned fabric I added in a few rows. I think it adds a bit of interest and lets the eye rest for a while on this rather lively quilt.
Drunken Harlequin is listed in my shop and and now I am of to the next quilting adventure. Stay tuned.