Shall we have a look then ?
I almost used the entire layer cake in this postage stamp pattern. The individual squares are 2 inches in size and I used 480 pieces in this quilt.
I placed 4 different layer cake pieces on top of each other and cut four 2 1/2 inch strips from them (totaling to 16 individual strips), then I mixed the strips up and sewed these together to 4 blocks again which I subsequently cut into 4 individual strips again (totaling to 16 strips altogether but this time each has 4 different 2 inch squares).
I then laid out all the strips until I was happy with the look and started piecing them in blocks of four. It sounds a lot more work then it was in the end.
I quilted in straight lines outside the ditch which emphasis the individual squares. Quilting thread was Gueterman Sulky 1072 for the front and a variegated one for the back (the same I am using for my Greek Cross quilt, more on that next week).
For the back I used this absolutely fantastic colourful butterfly print from Alexander Henry (featured in this stash Note). It actually mirrors a lot of the colours from the front but adds vibrance and buzz to it.
Look at this print, isn't it amazing ?
The quilt measures 41 by 48 inches (1,01 x 1.22 m) and I used a Michael Miller print from the 'Pretty Bird' collection called 'Bloomies' for the binding which is the same I already used in another quilt last year. Because the print fabric of the front has a lot of white in it I felt that it needed a strong frame. I think the colours really work well both with the front and back. It is a beautiful tangerine.
And as already mentioned in the beginning I couldn't stop myself sewing so I added a couple of cushions that feature on one side a double pinwheels ( I might just have to make a quilt featuring double pinwheels when I get my hands on more of this fabric !) and on the other a large square in a square.
And because I can here another shot of the whole lot together.