I used the Kikoi fabric and some of K. Fassett's stripes and juxtaposed these with Longshott Oakshott fabrics and created 9 patch blocks for which each square was cut on point. Originally I had thought to set each 9-patch block on point too but that turned out to be a little to much so I chose for a straight arrangement.
The backing fabric is a large piece of a K. Fassett print from a few seasons ago that I still had in stock and which I supplemented with a few stirps of solids in turquoise, red, orange and black from a Kona and Freespirit Designer Solids. It really works well with all the colours on the front.
I quilted in simple diagonal lines to give the quilt stability and used variegated Guetermann Sulky threads in two different shades. For the top a thread with more greens and for the bottom one with more orange and red. I wanted the thread the blend in rather than stand out as a white or off-white thread would have done.
For the binding I wanted to use something fun and light, yet complimentary to the overall colours of the quilt so I opted for a gingham in orange and white that I ordered at Frumble fabrics. I am really pleased with the choice as it give the quilt a little lift.
All the fabrics used in this quilt are woven and cutting them on the bias (or on point) was a little challenging but it worked out much better than I thought. The key was to work quickly and precise and to sew the 9-patches together speedy rather than moving the pieces about forever.
The quilt measures 64" x 74" (1.63 x 1.88) which is a good sofa quilt size in my opinion.
Please find previous posts on this quilt here, here and here and if the quilt is for sale in my Etsy shop.