Anyway the quilt is finished and I am mightily pleased with it and am fairly certain that my godmother will love it.
Just to recap, the quilt pattern is 'Botanical Gardens' from Sarah Fieldke's book 'Quilting from little things' . The blocks are set on point and use basically always two contrasting fabrics which was perfect for my stash of Hometown.
I kept the quilting simple because although this is a quilt of subtle colours it is nonetheless a busy one. So I quilted in straight lines right and left of the seam lines. Originally I had in mind to add a diagonal along the individual blocks but eventually abandoned this idea and I think that was the right decision.
The entire quilt is made of the Hometown collection. I used every last scrap of it. The quilt measures around 65 to 75" which makes it a perfect sofa quilt. The original quilt in the book was square and had a border.
The back is just a more or less random selection of leftover fabric pieced together.
As mentioned in my earlier posts I did not follow the piecing instructions from the book which suggested to piece in rows. I think this is not very wise and will lead to countless errors in my opinion. What I did is piece large sections; i.e. constructed myself "blocks" that I transferred to a piece of carton carton approximately A3 size and then sewed the pieces togheter. This worked very well and I only made one error in the whole process.
Earlier posts regarding this quilt can be found here and here.