And ob boy am I happy with this quilt. Here is a list of all the things I love about this quilt:
- The individual fabrics. I chose print fabrics for the strip that are all really special to me and work so well together supporting the overall soft earthy tones
- The background colour. It is Kona Khaki and is literally the colour of soft beach sand (and not at all green like the colour Khaki would suggest)
3. The quilting thread. I used for the first time an Aurifil size 40 thread instead of my usual Gueterman
Sulky 30. The reason for using a slightly thinner thread was that I really wanted to quilt very densely and
thought a thinner thread would work better. The colour is almost the same as the background thus
avoiding unnecessary contrast (something I deliberately aimed for). Quilting wise I am as happy with the
Aurifil as with the Gueterman thread; the Aurifil may produce a little less lint.My machine works well
4. The fact that I could not resist putting a few fabric spots onto the back (though one could argue that it
would have looked possibly better without them - Jury is still out on that one).
5. The quilting pattern. I chose a continuous circle in the end. I first thought of quilting in a continuous
square or rectangle but then decided that it a circle would work better with the soft tones and the
overall feel of the quilt.
6. The binding: For once I did not want to frame the quilt with a popping binding but rather extend the
(illusion of ) negative space which is why I chose to bind the quilt in the same fabric as the background
7. The size. The quilt is about 61 by 69 inches which makes it lap sized and perfect for the sofa which is
where most of my quilts get their proper workout !
I think that's it. Off to the next quilting adventure !